Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 6

Main Canyon to Vivian Park

Yesterday was all uphill. Today was all downhill. The funny thing is that I'm far more sore after the downhill than I am the uphill.

The first ten miles were so rocky and steep that I didn't have any access to a support vehicle. I moved quickly down the trail but I had to be careful to keep my footing. One wrong step and I could find myself doing a nosedive into the rocks below me. Luckily I didn't end up tripping and was able to make the run without any problems.

After ten miles I met up with my wife's cousin's husband who decided to come run with me. He is a much faster runner than I am but he was nice enough to run my pace. Although I do enjoy having time to myself to think and reflect, it was fun having someone to talk to.

After about 16 miles my quads were killing me. Luckily the fact that we were running downhill helped keep my pace up. I'm so glad I have Sunday to recover.

I'm halfway done!


Coming up on the ten mile mark



While we were running down the canyon we saw about ten different Cobras.


Coming up on the end of the day.


Free Entertainment

I haven't mentioned this before, but one of the main things that I notice while running is the roadkill. On a stretch around Myton the stench of death lasted for about 10 miles. It was so bad that when I finished my wife said that I smelled like dead animal (and I don't think it was the sweat).

There's a little game I like to play when the road starts to stink. It's called name that roadkill. Here's how it works. I find a carcass, guess the animal, and estimate how long it's been dead. For free entertainment I thought I would let you have a try. Just look at the pictures, sign in, and leave your guesses as comments. I'll reveal the answers tomorrow.


#1

#2

#3 (This one's easy)


#4 (CHALLENGE)
Click on the picture for a closer look!
Good Luck!


3 comments:

  1. Coyote 1 month
    Muskrat 2 hrs
    Skunk 2 days
    Cat 1 week

    Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. antelope or deer, I'll go with antelope
    2. snake and an I don't know. Part of a coyote?
    3. skunk
    4. cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't get the last 2 to open, but here are my guesses:
    1. deer
    2. Muskrat
    3. skunk
    4. Crow

    ReplyDelete