Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 2

Vernal to Roosevelt

Boy did I start out slow. I was so stiff that my run was little more than a speed walk. Luckily after about 4 miles the route changed to a dirt road that was really fun to run on and my muscles became a bit more limber. It's nice to be away from the highway traffic for once.

After two miles of scenic off-roading I was back on highway 40 and it started to rain. Within minutes I was soaking wet. Every time a semi would drive by I would get majorly splashed by the wheels flinging up water. It was fun for a while but when I stopped for my ten mile break I was freezing.

The next ten miles had some hills and I couldn't keep my heart rate down so I had to go a bit slower than I wanted. I learned yesterday not to ignore my heart rate monitor.

At the twenty mile point I decided to take a long one hour break and try to eat and get my heart rate down. This was a huge success. The last ten miles were not nearly as excruciating as yesterday. I felt like the thirty miles were manageable. My wife (who runs the last five with me everyday) even noticed a difference.

(Above and Below) Running through a bit of red dirt for about two miles. This was my favorite part of the day.


The ten mile mark break.
It's hard to tell, but I'm soaking wet and it's raining.

Charlie waiting for me at a 21 mile break. He's so cute even when he's scowling.






2 comments:

  1. Simon should have told me sooner you came through Vernal, that's where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad. That would have been fun to see a familiar face.

    ReplyDelete