Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 1

Dinosaur to Vernal

Happy 4th of July!

I couldn't sleep last night. It was a lot like the night before a marathon. I felt like I was watching my alarm clock all night as each hour passed.

I started out strong in the morning. The first ten miles felt like nothing. The next ten miles were getting difficult but still nothing to worry about. The last ten miles were the hard part.

Lesson learned. Never ignore your heart rate monitor. I thought running above an aerobic heart rate wouldn't be that bad. I felt fine for the first three miles with a heart rate in the 170's but then I hit a major wall, my heart rate skyrocketed to the 200's and I had to walk the last two miles. At the end I blacked out for a second and my mom caught me before tipping over. If every day is like this I can finish the run but I'm going to feel like death for the next two weeks.

A strong start coming off of the Colorado border


Coming up on 22 miles

Although I'm smiling, this is right after I almost passed out. I decided I would go to the hotel, take a nap, and walk the last two miles with my family.


Natalie, Charlie and I walking the last 2 miles of my 30 mile day.

Later that night we went and watched the fireworks in Vernal. It was a good ending to a brutal day.



No comments:

Post a Comment